Call for proposals: MacDATA Graduate Fellowship
The advent of large collection of data and ensuing development in data analysis techniques has made collaboration between data scientists and content experts necessary for cutting-edge research. Furthermore, there is a need for trainees to be exposed to both aspects of such research, namely for data science trainees to learn about “real-life” practical projects and for content expert trainees to gain experience in data analysis and management. The aims of the MacDATA Graduate Fellowship Program are:
- To provide trainees with an opportunity to acquire practical and theoretical skills in data science.
- To facilitate exchange of expertise and knowledge in data science across Faculties.
MacDATA Institute will provide support funding for one Student Research Assistant to work on an 8 month multidisciplinary project involving two or more faculties. The proposal must fit the mission of MacDATA Institute and the project must be related to data (ex: data analysis, collection, curation etc.). We encourage the Research Assistant’s work to align with the student’s graduate research/work. Students must be co-supervised by two or more faculty members from two or more faculties. Ideally, one faculty member will be an expert in data and another a content expert. MacDATA will provide $7,500 in funding support for a Research Assistant, the remainder of the funding for the student must be secured by the supervisors in order to complete the project (the remaining minimum 4-month period).
Expectations and Deliverables
- Participation in MacDATA activities and events
- A research presentation for the MacDATA seminar series
- A report at the conclusion of the fellowship that details project outcomes and outlines next steps
A complete application includes the following:
- A project proposal (1500 words maximum) that provides (i) a description of the research work and its goals, its interdisciplinary nature; (ii) methodology including the type of data and how you will access it and what data analytics tools will be used. (ii) Significance of your work and how it fits within your graduate research program.
- A current C.V.
- A list of two references.
Please submit your application as a PDF attached in a single e-mail and include your last name in all of your filenames.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday, January 13, 2017. Please include ‘MacDATA Graduate Fellowship’ in the subject line.Uncategorized